Wearing your retainer as directed by your orthodontist is crucial to prevent relapse of your treatment, and taking care of your retainers is important.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your retainers:
- Wear your retainers as directed by your orthodontist. You may have to wear your retainers every day from one week to one month, then transition to wearing them at nighttime only.
- Remove your retainers before eating – and don’t forget to place them in your retainers’ case.
- When not in use, do not wrap your retainers with tissue. This is the most common cause of loss or breakage.
- Clean your retainer with a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste after every meal and before bedtime. Alternatively, you may use tablet cleansers for retainers and soak them overnight.
- Never use hot water, as it can deform your retainers.
- If your retainer gets lost or broken, contact our office immediately for replacement.